Jonathan has extensive trial experience in both federal and state court, having tried dozens of jury trials as a criminal prosecutor. After serving as a judicial law clerk for the Arlington County Circuit Court, Jonathan worked as an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney in Fairfax County. He then transitioned to the United States Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Virginia, where he served as an Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) and Special Assistant United States Attorney (SAUSA).
At the United States Attorney’s Office, Jonathan led grand jury investigations in cases involving RICO, drug trafficking, human trafficking, public corruption, and white-collar offenses. For his work, Jonathan received multiple awards, including the Attorney General’s John Marshall Award, for the prosecution of a serial killer and sexual predator. Jonathan held several leadership positions within the office, including serving as the Chief of the Special Assistant United States Attorney Section, where he trained and supervised attorneys in the prosecution of felony and misdemeanor cases. He also regularly conducted training for law enforcement agencies on legal and ethical issues.
In addition to his work as a criminal prosecutor, Jonathan has significant leadership experience within the Executive branch. He served as the General Counsel with the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP). He also served as Deputy Assistant Secretary at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Acting Principal Legal Advisor and then Acting Director for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Jonathan served as an Adjunct professor at the American University, Washington College of Law and at George Washington University Department of Forensic Science.
Jonathan is a graduate of James Madison University and the University of San Diego School of law. Jonathan grew up in Northern Virginia, where he lives with his wife and three children.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- White Collar Investigations
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
- John Marshall Award for Trial of Litigation, Department of Justice’s Attorney General’s Award
- D.E.A. Administrator’s Award
- F.B.I. Public Service Award
- Fairfax County Police Public Service Award
- Liam O’Grady Award, United States Attorney’s Office
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Top Secret Clearance (TS/SCI)
- Acting Director, United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Acting Principal Legal Advisor, United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Deputy Assistant Secretary, Department of Homeland Security
- Senior Advisor, United States Department of Homeland Security
- Chief, Special Assistant United States Attorney’s Unit
- Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA), Eastern District of Virginia
- General Counsel, White House Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Adjunct Professor, American University, Washington College of Law and George Washington University, Department of Forensic Science
- Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney, Office of Commonwealth’s Attorney, Fairfax County
- Judicial Law Clerk, Arlington County Circuit Court
University of San Diego School of Law
James Madison University
Bachelor of Science